First 9 Weeks
- Building a classroom community & citizenship- Students will learn to develop a sense of pride, identity, and responsibility for our classroom community. Students will identify characteristics of good citizenship as we study examples from history, such as, Clara Barton.
- The US Constitution- Students will learn about how our country began by examining the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.
- Adapting to the world around us- Students will use their map, research, communication, and problem solving skills to understand how humans adapt to the world around them.
- Government and elections- Students will learn about the beginnings of Washington D.C. They will also learn about the 3 branches of our government and their functions, how services are financed and provided. We will also participate in a mock election.
- Communities past & present- Students will examine various communities in order to understand the changes in government, education, communication, transportation, and recreation.
- Economics, entrepreneurs, and Junior Achievement- Students will learn about personal budgets, the U.S. free enterprise system, and entrepreneurship.
- Innovators- Students will learn about important inventors and inventions throughout history and how they have affected our society.
- Heroes- Students will identify and analyze heroes and their heroic deeds.
- Celebrating Cultures- Students will explore other cultures through artists and writers to understand the importance of expressing your culture through art and celebrations.
Social Studies Resources
MyKaty Cloud allows you to access your child's grades, online textbooks, and many other online programs and resources to help you at home
The Parent Resource Drive will have digital copies of homework, newsletters, anchor charts we use in class, and information about how to access online computer programs at home
Other Social Studies Resources
- Brain Pop Jr.- (Educational videos that help explain concepts) Access through MyKatyCloud
- National Geographic Kids- kids.nationalgeographic.com/Access through MyKaty Cloud
- Discovery Education- Access through MyKaty Cloud
- Encyclopedia Britannica- Access through MyKaty Cloud
- Social Studies Weekly- Access through MyKaty Cloud